Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Summer Reading Indulgence


Last summer, my youngest sister, Maria, introduced me to the wonderful world of Regency Romance as penned by Georgette Heyer. I was very skeptical since these stories were termed as "Romance" and the old paperback copies my sister loaned me looked very much like the stacks of thrashy romance novels that I believe would be perfect for helping me to light our woodstove on frosty mornings. But I know my sister well enough to know she would never recommend such junk.


I was becoming somewhat desperate for good reading material since I can devour at least one book a day while we are trucking. These books have become the balm for my travel weary soul. Once I begin reading I can't put a book down. It's honestly the next best thing to our dear Miss Jane Austen!


The only problem that I've had is that they are just beinning to reprint these books and ebay shops tend to only sell one of Miss Heyers books in with a lot of 5 or 6 novels that I wouldn't bother with. Lucky for me my cousins and sisters have scoured the internet and thrift store to find old copies (sometime the covers are very decieving and have NOTHING to do with the story) and they have a great collection which I've been bumming off of them. I haven't gotten to read very many yet since I don't get to see the girls very often, but hopefully I'll get my hands on a few more soon. And, as I said, they are beginning to reprint them, so some are available on amazon, etc.


If you are looking for an enjoyable escape from reality as you enjoy the shade of a tree in your yard or travel to visit the family this summer I would recommend popping one of these books in your carry on. It will make your summer just that much sweeter and more relaxing.
I think BBC should make these into movies now that all of the Austen movie have been portrayed on the screen. There are such a limited supply of stories like these with dashing men, evil villans, and lovely ladies of court.


Here's a little something from a site I came across:

"Georgette Heyer (August 16 1902 - July 4 1974, pictured left) was an amazingly prolific writer who created the Regency England genre of romance novels.


Although Jane Austen published during this period (1811 - 1820), she was writing contemporaneously while Heyer was making very well-researched historical fiction, full of all you could ever want: romance, fashion, upper classes, arranged marriages, murder, intrigue, cant language, sarcasm and humour!" - http://www.georgette-heyer.com/


Bake a batch of scones, make a pot of tea and then find a comfy spot to curl up and escape for a little while. Happy reading!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails