Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Leave it to Beaver!




Saturday. July 25th.



I am typing to you from the shores of Beaver Lake Arkansas. The sun is dappling the trees and through those same trees I can see the sparkle of the lake. Paul’s …

Sorry, I was just interrupted to go chase Bella who broke her collar and went chasing after a tiny poodle!

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, umm, I don’t remember what exactly I was saying. Anyway, we are staying at Rocky Branch Camp and Marina run by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. The couple that oversee together during the summer are in their late 60’s or 70’s. They were telling us how they trucked together for 45 years! I’m having fun traveling and being paid to see the country, but 45 years! Yeah… no. Don’t think that’s going to happen. Trucking is perfect for now, but someday I want to live at home and travel just for fun.

If anyone is ever thinking about camping at Bear Lake (between Rogers and Eureka Springs), I will share this with you: the campground is right on the lake and they have a nice marina and little beach area for families, there is some great fishing (we have a catfish head left by the last camper for us to prove it!) and pretty little camp spots, but I have yet to find any running water. The bath houses are glorified jonny-on-the-spots (yuck!) and there is supposedly one shower bath house, but I haven’t found it yet. Some might say its better than nothing, but I might feel more inclined to dig a hole than to brave the smell without a clothespin for my nose! It is a lovely place to camp, just be sure to bring bottled water, baby wipes and hand sanitizer.

Hubby pitched the tent while I gathered firewood. He also repaired the holes in our air mattress (Before I was married I would’ve scoffed at anyone who needed an air mattress and called them a “mambsy-pambsy” as my father says. Guess the laughs are on me now!), inflated it and put up the hammock. Then he ran the extension cord out across the campsite and hooked up the computer for me. Not sure what else I was doing…oh, yeah, I “TESTED” the hammock. Ya know- had to make sure it was safe and all that good stuff. God love husbands! I never go camping without one! Oh, and he removed the before mentioned catfish head. The man is a saint, I tell you!


The sun has gotten lower and the sky is turning pink and peach with a purple haze. Everything feels perfectly mellow. Paul took the dogs down to the lake and worked with them on their swimming skills and then by the playground where they were big celebrities with all the kids. By the time they got back here they passed out from exhaustion. There’s nothing better than sleeping outside on a summer evening, especially when the heavenly aroma of a cedar campfire is on the breeze.


I wonder who the patron saint of camping is? You’d think I’d know! Guess I’ll have to look into it. Thank you, Lord, for nature and the opportunities you give us to enjoy it.

Hubby must have read my mind because he just started the fire! I’m going to go enjoy it and him (and marshmallows)! Au Revior!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails