Thursday, November 5, 2009

Getting in touch with my inner "Anne"

A few weeks ago I was able to spend several lovely days with my dear Diana of the Lake of Shining Waters and her sweet little family. We played with her babies, went shopping, watched movies late at night and drank tea together while giggling like school girls on her couch. Her dear husband even took us out to eat. It was one of the most enjoyable times I've had in a while. This "Ann-girl" was very happy to be reunited with her "Diana"!


When I returned home, my baby sister (who towers over me in stature!) came to visit. We had a wonderful time together while catching up on our sister-ly bonding. We are planning out some rather inspired parties over the holidays. Together we plotted out menus, gifts, decorations and an assortment of goodies for our guest. She went for daily rides on our horses and in the evenings we enjoyed the roaring fires in our dining room.


Notice Audrey's look of approval in the background? :)

One night we decided to roast hot dogs over the fire for dinner. They were wrapped in croissants and made for the tastiest and simplest of fall meals. My sister is also a big Anne of Green Gables fan, so when I told her about my scheme to "get in touch with my inner Anne," she agreed to help.


How does one go about getting in touch with their inner Anne? In my case it was a simple scheme that "Anne" had attempted herself (with less than pleasing results!). I wanted to dye my hair red!

Well, strawberry blonde to be exact. I have never dyed my hair and was more than a little nervous, but after a year and a half of living in a truck I felt I needed to do something drastic. I purchased a bottle of red hair dye as a teen in hopes of looking more like someone that Gilbert Blythe would be attracted to. Naturally, I asked my mother for permission before going through with my plan. She gave me a firm NO and that was that. It took over ten years (and looking daily at my husband red hair daily) for me to rehatch my idea.

My partner in crime did a wonderful job. Funny thing is that the color looks very much like my natural color. This is always a good thing though. I am glad that I my sister and I were able to enjoy this crazy and fun sister moment. And I am happy that I have gotten in touch with my inner Anne. I will have to post a picture of my strawberry blonde locks later since I have yet to get a picture of myself.
"You may tire of reality but you never tire of dreams." — L.M. Montgomery (The Road to Yesterday)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails